Applications for the 2019 Broadway In Chicago’s Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards will be available soon! Click here to be added to Broadway In Chicago’s Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards email list. You will receive updates when new information is available.
2019 Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA: Musicals must take place prior to April 15, 2019
For 2020 IHSMTA, High School Musicals must take place before April 13, 2020.
• Eligible high schools must be public or private schools within the state of Illinois.
• Schools may only submit an application for one high school musical per school year. The show must be a qualifying show from the Jimmy Awards list here (subject to change).
• Eligible musicals must be performed prior to the musical submission deadline (above).
• Schools that choose to double cast their musical must select one cast for adjudication. The students in the selected cast will be eligible to be nominated and apply for Best Actor and Best Actress. An exception will be made only if both students who are double cast in the same role have been previously invited to Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA. If a school chooses to double cast and has a student who was previously invited to Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA, the cast with the previously nominated student will be evaluated. Educators must communicate all applicable performances dates for the selected cast to Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA no later than one month prior to their first performance.
• Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA School Application must be completed by a teacher or administrator who represents a public or private high school in the state of Illinois. Broadway In Chicago encourages all Illinois Public and Private High Schools to apply; School Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. All subsequent applicants will be added to a waiting list in order of receipt. Early applications are encouraged.
• Schools will provide Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA four complimentary tickets to their production, on the date(s) Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA chooses, for the Broadway In Chicago representatives to evaluate the show.
• For the purposes of the Jimmy Awards and Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA programs, students are adjudicated in the category corresponding to their gender identification, not the gender of the role that they played. The role must be performed as written in the script, or changes must be approved by the licensing organization and Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA. If changes were approved, the school must submit proof of approval from the show’s licensing organization to Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA at least a month prior to the school’s musical for Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA consideration.
2018 IHSMTA Categories and Evaluation Criteria:
Best Performance by an Actor: Best Actor is evaluated primarily on their complete proficiency in the areas of singing, acting, and dancing.
Best Performance by an Actress: Best Actress is evaluated primarily on their complete proficiency in the areas of singing, acting, and dancing.
Best Scenic Design presented by SPL: For Best Scenic Design, the production is evaluated on how well the set supports the production and helps to create a cohesive vision.
Best Direction: Best Direction evaluates how the director has used all of the elements at their disposal to create the strongest production they can with their available resources.
Best Production presented by Guardian Music Travel: Best Production evaluates the appropriateness of the selection of the piece and if it was executed to be the strongest high school musical the participating school could produce.
Eligibility Requirements for Best Actor and Best Actress:
Student applicants for Best Actor/Actress must be enrolled in grades 9-12 in an Illinois public or private high school participating in Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA, have performed in a full-length high school affiliated musical theatre production during the 2017-2018 academic year, and must be a resident of the state of Illinois.
To compete in the Best Performance by an Actor or Best Performance by an Actress categories, astudent must have played a qualifying role in a full-length high school musical theater production. A supporting role does not qualify. A comprehensive list of eligible roles can be found at jimmyawards.com
Student applicants for Best Actor/Actress must agree to the possible videotaping, televised opportunities, photos, press interviews, and print advertising in conjunction with the Broadway In Chicago Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards.
Students must be willing and available to participate in both the Broadway In Chicago Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards early June 2018 (TBD), and The Jimmy Awards (National High School Musical Theatre Awards) in late June 2018.
A list of qualifying roles for Best Actor and Best Actress can be found here (subject to change).
Broadway In Chicago’s IHSMTA Ceremony and Award Recipients:
The 24 nominees will be evaluated through an audition process that includes two live performances of two solo songs: one song (up-tempo or ballad, if applicable) from the lead role he/she played in the musical for which they have been nominated and one song of the finalist’s choosing, from a Jimmy Awards Qualifying Show. Nominees must provide their own clearly-marked sheet music in a 3-ring binder in page protectors. All nominees must perform with the provided accompanist – no recordings or a cappella singing will be allowed. Two students (one actor and one actress) will be selected as the award recipients to compete at The Jimmy Awards on behalf of Illinois.
If selected as the Best Actor or Best Actress Award Recipient:
• The student must be available and willing to participate in The Jimmy Awards held in New York City in late June 2018.
• The two award recipients will travel on an all-expense paid trip with a Broadway In Chicago chaperone. Air transportation, meals, and housing in New York will be provided for the week of the program.
• Additional release forms for the trip and for the NHSMTA program must be signed by the student and a parent/guardian.
Broadway In Chicago’s Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards has the absolute discretion to determine rules and regulations. Please email us directly at [email protected] if you have any questions on the above.