Here are the 10 phenomenal directors nominated for Best Direction of a Play and Best Direction of a Musical:
Best Direction of a Play
Stephen Daldry, “Skylight”
Marianne Elliott, “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time”
Scott Ellis, “You Can’t Take It With You”
Jeremy Herrin, “Wolf Hall Parts One & Two”
Moritz von Stuelpnagel, “Hand to God”
Here’s a few fun facts:
– Stephen Daldry made his feature film directorial debut in 2000 with “Billy Elliot” and then went on to win Best Direction of a Musical for the stage version in 2009. “Billy Elliot” also played here in Chicago at the Oriental Theatre from March 18, 2010 – November 28, 2010.
– In 2011, Marianne Elliott won the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play for the Broadway production of “War Horse,” along with co-director Tom Morris. The production toured through Chicago December 18, 2012 – January 5, 2013 at the Cadillac Palace Theatre.
– Scott Ellis attended the Chicago Goodman School of Drama.
Best Direction of a Musical
Sam Gold, “Fun Home”
Casey Nicholaw, “Something Rotten!”
John Rando, “On the Town”
Bartlett Sher, “The King and I”
Christopher Wheeldon, “An American in Paris”
Here’s a few more fun facts:
– Sam Gold started out as an actor, appearing as a replacement understudy in “The Diary of Anne Frank” on Broadway in 1997-1998.
– John Rando won the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical for “Urinetown the Musical” in 2002. He also directed “The Wedding Singer” on Broadway in 2006.
– In 2014, Bartlett Sher directed the beautiful musical, “The Bridges of Madison County” which unfortunately only ran for 100 performances from February 2014 to May 2014.
Tags: 2015 Tony Award Nominations, 2015 Tony Awards, An American In Paris, Bartlett Sher, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Direction of a Play, Billy Elliott, Cadillac Palace, casey nicholaw, Chicago Goodman School of Drama, Christopher Wheeldon, fun home, Hand to God, Jeremy Herrin, John Rando, Marianne Elliott, Moritz von Stuelpnagel, On the Town, oriental theatre, Sam Gold, Scott Ellis, skylight, Something Rotten!, Stephen Daldry, the bridges of madison county, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, The Diary of Anne Frank, the king and i, The Wedding Singer, Tom Morris, Urinetown the Musical, War Horse, Wolf Hall Parts One & Two, You Can't Take It With You