Broadway In Chicago is presenting The Illinois High School Musical Theater Awards to enable Illinois schools to participate in the National High School Musical Theater Awards, a national celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theater.
- Best Performance by an Actor
- Best Performance by an Actress
- Nominees must be enrolled in grades 9-12 in an Illinois public or private high school, have performed in a full-length high school affiliated musical theater production during the 2012-2013 academic year, and must be a resident of the state of Illinois.
- To compete in the Best Performance by an Actor or Best Performance by an Actress categories, a nominee must have played the lead role in a full-length high school musical theater production. A supporting role does not qualify. A comprehensive list of eligible roles can be found at www.nhsmta.com.
- Nominees must agree to the possible videotaping, televised opportunities, photos, press interviews, and print advertising in conjunction with the Broadway In Chicago Illinois High School Musical Theater Awards.
- Nominees must be willing and available to participate in both the Broadway In Chicago Illinois High School Musical Theater Awards on Monday, April 29, 2013, and the NHSMTA program taking place in early July in New York City.
- The application must be completed in full and submitted online no later than Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5:00pm.
- Schools may nominate one student for Best Performance by an Actor and/or one student for Best Performance by an Actress for the lead role performed in the high school production. Each student nominated must submit a complete application.
- Only one lead male and one lead female submission will be accepted per nominating school program.
All applications must be completed online and in accordance to the application guidelines, available here.
Nominees’ applications will be reviewed by a panel of qualified judges selected by Broadway In Chicago. Twenty-four finalists will be notified by Monday, April 23, 2012. The finalists will be invited to perform at the Final Awards Program on April 29, 2013. The judges’ decision is final.
IHSMTA Judging Guidelines: The finalists will be evaluated through an audition process that includes one live performance of a solo (one up-tempo or one ballad, if applicable) from the lead role he/she played in the musical for which they have been nominated. No substitutions will be considered eligible. Finalists must provide their own clearly-marked sheet music. Sheet music should be in a 3-ring binder in page protectors. There will be an accompanist. All finalists must perform with live accompaniment – no tapes or recordings will be allowed. Singing a cappella is also not allowed. Two students (one actor and one actress) will be selected as the winners.
If selected as a Broadway In Chicago Illinois High School Musical Theater Award winner:
• The student must be available and willing to participate in the National High School Musical Theater Awards held in New York City in early July 2013 (exact dates are TBD).
• The two winners (one male, one female) will travel on an all-expense paid trip with a Broadway In Chicago chaperone. Air transportation, meals, and housing in New York will be provided for the week of the program.
• Additional release forms for the trip and for the NHSMTA program must be signed by the student and a parent/guardian.
• The National High School Musical Theater Awards includes one-on-one coaching, auditions and rehearsal for the Jimmy Awards presentation. Finalists are selected by a panel of judges made up of Broadway professionals.